Thursday, February 17, 2011

Looking Past the Pictures...

While I really enjoyed Fun Home, the ending of the book still left me with many questions concerning with the classification of this memoir/ graphic narrative. As a self entitled ‘connoisseur of graphic novels’ I find it peculiar how we (the class) describe Fun Home as a graphic novel or comic, but if you look at the back cover the reviewers express it as, “one of the best memoirs of the decade”, “hyper-verbose example of autobiography”, and even “a true literary achievement”.  I found it bizarre how all of these noteworthy columns failed to mention the primary element that makes this story so special: the ability of Alison Bechdel to convey such serious subject matter through images.

The sheer lack of not acknowledging the comic strip format almost cheapens the work. I don’t understand how so many columnists could equate a couple sentences of commentary as verbose. I think the reviewers are so wrapped up in the idea of this work presenting a memoir or autobiographical element instead of a fantastical narrative that is common in comic strips that they just focus on the words. Yes, the sentences in the captions deal with issues prevalent in contemporary English literature, but the words are only half of the equation.

Another interesting point in the classification of Fun Home is the irony in which this work is considered a novel or prose while her previous book, Dykes to Watch Out For, which is also in the same graphic format is considered a graphic novel. Both pieces of work contain aspects of Alison’s real life. I think we should recognize Fun Home as a graphic novel, because it shows that we are transcending our typical definition of literature.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I definitely agree, but also, I don't even think you could have one without the other. This story, without pictures, would not be as compelling, and if this story, strongly relied on pictures, then it would almost fail as a literary work. But this is a great point to bring up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is interesting their description of hyper verbose, to me verbose requires an excess of words. I must also admit I am not up to speed on grahpic novels the only one i have read was a version of Kafka;'s metamorphosis. However, the pictures and words in this book seem to be intertwined in a literary yin and yang.

    ReplyDelete